Remember me

Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016

Auckland International College has agreed to observe and be bound by the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 (the Code) administered by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA). If students have concerns about their treatment by a New Zealand educational provider or agent of a provider they should follow guidelines given on the NZQA page of the Code are available on request from this institution or from the New Zealand Legislation website

Translations of the Code in various languages are published by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority and can be accessed via the New Zealand Qualifications Authority Website 

What is the Code?

The Code is a document that prescribes the required outcomes education providers and their agents need to deliver for their international students.The Code applies to pastoral care and provision of information only, and not to academic standards.

Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights of employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at 

Eligiblity for Health Services 
Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand.  If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment.  Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available on their website at 

Accident Insurance
The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs.  Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at 

Medical & Travel Insurance 
International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand.  

Who does the Code apply to?
The Code applies to all education providers in New Zealand with international students enrolled. The Code is mandatory to these providers and must be signed by them.

What is an “international student”?
An “international student” is a foreign student studying in New Zealand.

How can I get a copy of the Code?
You can download a copy of the Code from the New Zealand Legislation website at

How do I know if an education provider has signed the Code?
The New Zealand Qualifications Authority maintains a register of all signatories to the Code. This is available online from If the education provider that you are seeking to enrol with is not a signatory to the Code you will not be able to study at that institution.

What if I have questions about the Code?
The New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) is the administrator of the Code. If you have any inquiries about the Code, you can email NZQA through their website:

What if something goes wrong?
If you have concerns about your treatment by your education provider or by an agent of the provider, the first thing you must do is contact the principal, the international student director, or another person who has been identified to you as someone that you can approach about complaints at your institution. The Code requires all institutions to have fair and equitable internal grievance procedures for students, and you need to go through these internal processes before you can take the complaint any further.

If your concerns are not resolved by the internal grievance procedures, you can contact the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA), which handles all complaints about alleged non-compliance with the Code of Practice, other than financial and contractual disputes.

If your complaint is a financial or contractual one you can contact iStudent Complaints 

What is iStudent Complaints? 
iStudent Complaints is the appointed operator of the International Student Contract Dispute Resolution Scheme (DRS), which was set up to resolve financial and contractual disputes. 

Code signatories are required to comply with the International Student Contract Dispute Resolution Scheme Rules 2016.

How can I contact iStudent Complaints?
You can contact iStudent Complaints by phone, email, fax, mail, WeChat, Facebook, Instragram or by filling in the on-line form on the website. All contact details are on their website contact page.  

What will iStudent Complaints do?

iStudent Complaints will consider and deal with dispute in a timely, cost-effective, and fair manner. Please visit iStudent Complaints for more information.